I don’t have much to report these days. I don’t often see the bees, so what can I tell you? The final honey harvest will happen in about four days. I’m not sure what we’ll find. So far we’ve harvested about three medium honey supers. That’s not bad considering what our bees have been through this year. None of our colonies are in tip-top shape and only two are producing honey. One third of the harvested honey was comb honey (my favourite), some of it crystal clear crushed and strained (my second favourite because the honey comb flavour is still intact), and the rest was extracted (which is okay but not as philosophically pleasing). Our last batch of honey was mostly Goldenrod honey. Here’s a plateful of it I put aside because it was uncapped.
I don’t know what it is about Goldenrod honey, but it has a pungent flavour that is definitely an acquired taste. Like sweet sweaty old gym socks. Go figure.
I had a foundationless deep frame full of honey put aside in our shed to give to one of our colonies before winter, nicely sealed in plastic so it would keep. Then some wasps got in the shed, found a hole in the plastic and obliterated the frame of honey. Check it out:
I’m more of a bee-visitor than a beekeeper these days. The most fun I had this past summer was when I made a 4-frame extractor with a friend of mine. I’m not posting the plans for it because it’s a prototype and the design has some minor flaws that need to be corrected first. But it works and is easily worth the $120 I spent on it. Here’s a demo video of its maiden voyage:
By the way, the heating gun method of uncapping the honey works great. No fuss, no muss and way cheaper than an uncapping knife.
AUGUST 13/14: I just uploaded these photos of the extractor for anyone who wants to try to figure out how I built it, though I don’t recommend it.
August 15/15: I trashed the DIY extractor and bought a professionally made extractor instead, the Maxant 3100p:
Maxant 3/6/9 Honey Extractor, Model 3100P. (August 12, 2015.)