We gave our four hives some dry sugar 62 days ago. Here’s some riveting footage that shows how that’s working out for us (so far so good).

The only thing we’ll do differently next year is lay sugar over either the front or back half of the frames. That way the bees can access the sugar without any trouble and there’s still plenty of room to add a full-sized pollen patty. As seen in the video, adding pollen patties is tricky with all that sugar in the way. And we won’t spray the newspaper next time either.

Previous posts in this continuing saga: Dry Sugar Feeding, Dry Sugar Feeding Update and Dry Sugar Check Up and Pollen Patties.

4 Responses to “Dry Sugar Feeding: Day 62”

SKIP TO THE END
  1. Jane Peters says:

    Good Morning,

    I recently followed your ‘bee cake/candy” recipe that turned out really well, so decided to make another batch. However…… this batch turned out runny and is dripping. What did I do wrong ?? Can I boil it up again and do something with it?? I am afraid if I put it in the hives like this it will drip down into the frames. We only have minus 6 today , so Spring is somewhere closy by !!! Your opinions and comments are always appreciated.

    Jane

    • Phillip says:

      Hi Jane,

      I don’t know what you did wrong. I’ve only made candy cakes once, so I can’t speak from much experience. If it’s runny, though, then I suppose you didn’t add enough sugar. Perhaps you can put it all back in a pot with some water and re-boil it while adding some extra sugar.

      Or you could toss it and following the Mountain Camp dry sugar method, which seems to work just as well and is much less labour intensive.

  2. Jeff says:

    You can boil it up again. Just be careful as you are getting close to over doing it. Good to have the thermometer on hand. You want to add some additional water first followed up my more sugar to adjust the recipe as required ot just add water and boil it out. WHat ever works for you.

    Good luck.

  3. Phillip says:

    We whipped up a few more pollen patties today (fortified with real pollen this time) and gave all the hives at least another pound of pollen each. Here are some pics. Hive #3 with hardly any pollen left:

    Adding some pollen:

    All the hives still have plenty of sugar. Hive #4 looking strong and hardly any pollen left:

    Now with a fresh big clump of pollen patty to keep them happy:

    Hive #1:

    For some reason, Hive #1 and #2 have some moisture built up inside. I’m not sure why. We may have sprayed too much water on the dry sugar (to harden it) when we added in the sugar a couple months ago. Or there may be a problem with how we insulated those hives. Both of them only have a piece of insulation over the inner cover instead of using our famous insulated inner covers. That’s the only difference in the construction of the hives, though I’m not sure why it would make any difference. Either way, the previous pollen patties got mouldy and we had throw them away:

    We had some mould in the same hive last year, though it wasn’t as bad. We’ll clean it during the first inspection of the year. Mould or no mould, the bees in all the hives seem to be thriving. If they keep this up, we shouldn’t have any problems making splits and back-up nucs this year.

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Please keep the comments clean and civil. Most comments or links posted for promotional or commercial purposes will be deleted. The spelling and syntax of some comments may be corrected for readability from time to time. Private messages can be directed to the Mud Songs email address posted on the Contact page.