The Piping Queen Revisited

I forgot to post an update about the possible Piping Queen I heard in a queenless colony a while ago. (It’s a longer-than-usual but detailed post that might be interesting for beekeepers who’ve never encountered piping or even heard of it.) The update: I pulled a frame from the hive six days after I heard the piping and found a frame full of royal jelly.

Brood cells full of royal jelly. Signs of mated queen (I hope). (Aug. 10, 2015.)

Royal jelly found in a hive that’s been queenless for more than a month. (August 10, 2015.)


Royal jelly isn’t a guarantee that I have a well-mated queen. I could have a laying worker or a drone-laying queen. But I’m taking it as a good sign. For now on if I hear piping, I’ll assume that a good queen is present. A shot in the dark: The virgin queen mated the very day I heard the piping. (I’ll update this post if it turns out the queen is a dud.)

Supersedure Cell or Emergency Queen Cell?

I’m probably wrong to think of both as supersedure cells. In my mind, they both replace a dead or dying queen, so that’s superseding enough for me. But how the queen cells are created defines the difference. For example, the original colony’s queen that we’re talking about here was dead or dying back in June. The bees created a supersedure queen cell low on the frame like a swarm cell — which leads me to believe the queen knew she was dying and therefore made sure to lay in a queen cup at the bottom of the frame, the best possible spot for a queen cell to develop. A supersedure cell off the side of the frame is usually created when the queen is dead and the bees have no choice but to build queen cells with whatever fresh brood they can find. Those are “emergency” supersedure cells and I’ve heard many beekeepers argue that they produce inferior queens compared to swarm cells or supersedure cells that are built low on the frames. But there are so many variations to what the bees can and will do, I’m not sure how much it matters what we call the queen cells. In the end, the bees have created a replacement queen and that’s it. I could be wrong about all of this, so please feel free to say, “Hey, buddy, you got that all wrong.”

In any case, an open supersedure cell full of royal jelly was found on July 1. The new queen should have emerged by July 16. The virgin queen has 20 days to mate after that, which would have been the day after I heard the piping (but couldn’t see a queen). Six days later I found the brood frames full of royal jelly. So my guess is the queen mated just in the nick of the time and the piping indicated that she was getting ready to start laying. I’ve read nothing conclusive about piping queens, so for now, that’s my personal theory on piping.

P.S.: I try to write everything on Mud Songs in a manner that’s accessible to first and second year beekeepers still learning the basics. But that task has become increasingly difficult as the knowledge (i.e., confusion) I gain from the experience of beekeeping increases. Each topic in this post deserves specific attention: royal jelly, swarm cells, supersedure cells, emergency queen cells, piping, virgin queens, mated queens, brood development, laying workers, drone-laying queens, etc. But that would expand the size of this post by about ten times. So I just have throw some things out there and hope they stick, or at least pique curiosity so that anyone interested will inquire further to figure out what I’m talking about.